Drew McManus, the “orchestra insider” and author of www.adaptistration.com, has made a cry for change, asking for anything but “blah” in arts management photography. His post, “Let’s Get Rid of Blah Arts Manager Photos Once and For All,” prompted me to come up with a list of ideas for more engaging images of arts managers and symphony orchestras/musicians.
Questions for readers:
- How is your arts organization engaging patrons/donors with photography?
- Have you established an image strategy? Why or why not?
- Are there arts organizations in your community or otherwise that you think are doing a good job with arts manager and musician photos?
Here are my thoughts for getting rid of “blah arts manager photos once and for all.”
- Links to arts manager images you like.
- http://www.bsomusic.org/main.taf?p=4,1,18,2 (BSO “Casual Photo Gallery”)
- http://www.bsomusic.org/main.taf?p=4,1,22 (BSO “Impromptu”)
- http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/gallery/2012/may/15/lso-trafalgar-square-concert?picture=390138017 (Photographer: Kevin Leighton/LSO)
- Arts Managers
- http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=4557091 (Michael Chavez, Denver’s public art program manager – Karl Gehring, The Denver Post)
- http://a0.twimg.com/profile_images/2378480781/zpfapr3s5use9rmywnz3.jpeg (Gary Hills, artist/arts manager coach)
- http://www.townvibe.com/images/cache/93f8958df4c5bcc2c12be178edf71a35.jpeg (Robert Kessler in recording studio)
- http://www.gigmag.co.uk/upload/news_738.jpg (Marin Alsop!)
- http://www.ocadu.ca/Assets/image_media/OCAD/about_ocad/articles/20100330_ChristineGermano_byLeannaGosse.jpg (Christine Germano – photographer, bookmaker, educator and founder and Executive Director of the Constant Arts Society.)
- Links to photographer websites that have great arts manager photos (or even applicable corporate exec images).
- Blog post about photographer, Christian Colberg: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2011/11/christian-colbergs-orchestrated.html
- http://www.kevinleighton.com/html//work (Kevin Leighton, LSO photographer)
- http://www.nikolajlund.com/ (Nikolaj Lund, photographer — reference provided by Lee on Google+ from the Bartlesville Symphony Orchestra)
- https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151121869826749.425226.635651748&type=3 & http://www.bohuang.ca/ (Bo Huang, photographer — reference provided by Drew McManus)
- Explain why you think the image(s) are appealing.
- They’re fun, creative, and provide insight into the musicians’ personalities and lifestyles
- Explain what you think would make an exciting and captivating arts manager photo/portrait.
- Photography that shows arts managers enjoying what they are doing, interacting with musicians, actors, dancers, poets, etc., and provide other interesting insights into their lives and work – behind the scenes, office fun, (appropriate) personal quirks, etc.
- What sort of message do you think an arts manager photo/portrait should project?
- Light-hearted, approachable individuals
- Passion for the art form
- Fun and engaging work
- If money wasn’t an object, how would you stage an arts manager photoshoot?
- Sky diving with symphony hall below
- Themed (e.g. masquerade ball, introspective, hobbies, around the office, etc.)
How would you “fix” arts photography?