Social media, the Internet, and mobile technology are considered to be key to connecting, interacting, and building relationships between Millennials and arts organizations. Read more of my research on engaging Millennial generation audiences and donors in my latest blog post. Continue reading
With the use of mobile apps on the rise, I was curious to see how many symphony orchestras have embraced the trend.
Orchestra apps are making it easier for fans to follow the latest news, find event information, buy tickets, make donations, listen to music samples, watch videos, learn about conductors and musicians, access driving and parking information, and more…all on their mobile devices.
There were a few orchestras that I expected to find, including the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, the Detroit Symphony Orchestra, and the San Francisco Symphony. There were several that I was pleasantly surprised to see! Although I am rather impressed by the number of symphony orchestra apps already available, I feel there is great potential for this list, as well as patron engagement, to grow.
Which symphony orchestras did I find in the rapidly expanding mobile app-mosphere?
- Atlanta Symphony Orchestra
- Bravo Gustavo – Conduct like Maestro, Gustavo Dudamel
- Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra
- Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra
- Chicago Symphony Orchestra
- Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra – Discover, buy, give
- Cleveland Symphony Orchestra – Meet the musicians and listen
- Detroit Symphony Orchestra – “Live From Orchestra Hall” HD webcasts
- Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra
- Kansas City Symphony Orchestra – Musician bios & fan wall
- London Philharmonic Orchestra
- Melbourne Symphony Orchestra – MSO Learn: interactive audio-visual exploration of an orchestra
- Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra
- New Mexico Philharmonic – Support, concert info, & more
- Orchestre de Paris – Read bios and create saved & favorites lists
- Pacific Symphony Orchestra – Performance previews
- San Francisco Symphony Orchestra – Offers & transportation info
- Seattle Symphony Orchestra
- Singapore Chinese Orchestra
- Singapore Symphony Orchestra
- St. Paul Chamber Orchestra – Listening library & program info
- Sydney Symphony Orchestra – Live stream concerts
- Valley Symphony Orchestra – Fan wall, VSO fan cam, share, & connect
- YouTube Symphony Orchestra – Audition videos, finalists, classes, partners, & more
- New York Philharmonic – Stream radio broadcasts & listen for free
- LA Phil – Educational lectures & orchestra map
- Bachtrack – search by composer, work, choreographer, performer, country, city, venue or any combination of these.
- Boston Symphony Orchestra – BSO Media Center: WebTV provides virtual concert-going experience (Press release)
- Medici.tv – subscribe, rent films, and watch live webcasts
- iGendyn – entertaining sound synthesis app
- Mahler Translation – Nearly 2300 English translations of German musical words and phrases found in Gustav Mahler’s symphonic works.
You may find other WQXR Top 5 lists from 2012 that interest you:
- For music-loving foodies: Top Five Classical Music Fests for Foodies
- For metropolitan travelers: The World’s Top Five Cities for Classical Music
- For digital-users & music history buffs:
Top Five Digital Archive Projects in Classical Music
- For stress-relief (and inspiration) at work: Top Five Music Selections For Your Workday
- For musical anthropologists, phrenologists, & MRI techs:
Top Five Heads for Classical Music
- For music-loving pilots & aerospace engineers:
Top Five Flying Machines in Classical Music
- and more…
- Would you consider downloading your local orchestra’s mobile app?
- What are your initial reactions to this service?
- What are your thoughts for the future of symphony orchestra engagement?